June 19, 2012

Wedding Hair: Up vs. Down

1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6

I’ve been researching wedding hair for a while now.  I want an effortless and elegant look, but I am stuck between wearing my hair up or down.  I love the look of long flowing hair and the youthfulness it gives, but wearing  my hair up makes me feel more sophisticated and timeless. I still have some time to decide, but in the end I want to choose whichever hairstyle I feel most comfortable and “me” in.

1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6

Karen June 19, 2012 at 8:21 pm

I had mine down with big curls for the ceremony and had them do a side pony tail with messy curls & a vintage flower with rhinestones for the reception. I just couldn't decide on those two hair styles so i had to have them both.

Alicia Segerson June 19, 2012 at 8:33 pm

I like the idea of having it down for ceremony and up for the reception.

DNA (designers+artists) June 19, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Great styles, all wedding appropo!

Ella June 19, 2012 at 11:18 pm

i love them both! i think down is very pretty, the old hollywood glamour style waves are gorgeous!

mollyluc June 19, 2012 at 11:31 pm

Emma Watson's hairstyle in the botton left corner would look stunning on you! It looks like an effortless up-do, yet sophisticated and pulled together!

Rachel June 19, 2012 at 11:34 pm

It really depends on what your dress looks like. If the top is fairly simple or strapless, wear your hair down. Otherwise, up looks really elegant.

girlavantgarde June 19, 2012 at 11:52 pm

They're all gorgeous. And I totally agree, I love leaving my hair down, but I feel more dressed-up with an undo. What does your dress neckline look like? What jewelry will you wear? AHH so exciting!

xo,
Courtney

2 Girls, 2 Cities June 20, 2012 at 3:32 am

As everyone said, it depends what your dress looks like and if you're showing off your back or not. But, I can see half up, half down with lots of waves! – J

The Waspy Redhead June 20, 2012 at 4:09 am

You can't go wrong. You have lovely locks, so down works and updos are timeless. I would let the line of your dress guide your decision.

Kimberly Chrisya June 20, 2012 at 5:00 am
Pao June 20, 2012 at 5:42 am

In my own experience, I have to say Up! I felt prettier and better on my wedding day! With my hair down I felt that I would just be touching it and be uncomfortable. So basically try to go for the up-do!

Cara June 20, 2012 at 2:48 pm

so much inspiration…can't wait to see what you do!
xo Cara

Anna June 20, 2012 at 7:17 pm

I love when hair is up for weddings!:)

Niki June 20, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Choose whatever looks best with your dress!! If it has a gorgeous back detail you would probably want to wear it up! That's how I made my decision!

Chelsea June 21, 2012 at 1:24 am

Sounds like a familiar issue I had just a few short years ago. Ultimately hair up won mostly because my hair is unruly and I was getting married outside…in June…in the South. I'm sure whatever your decision, it'll be gorgeous. Your taste is impeccable!

Chelsea

e444d334-bb49-11e1-839d-000bcdcb5194 June 21, 2012 at 2:36 am

i follow you on instagram and im a big fan i think ur gorgeous! i think you should wear it down for the ceremony and then pull it up for the reception. i really like how hilary duff had her hair for her wedding. just a thought. ur beautiful Xo

chic Saturday by Kelly August 6, 2012 at 4:06 am

Julia…
Can't wait to see which style you chose! I'm sure it was beautiful….congrats to you and your new husband!

XO,
Kelly { chicsaturday.com }

Lize November 2, 2012 at 7:59 am

Why choose?! I had both styles…up for the ceremony and down for the reception!

Love your blog!!! ♥