September 25, 2012

Let’s Talk Primer…

To tell you the truth, I never really understood the purpose or reason for using a primer before applying my makeup. I’ve read countless articles, watched youtube videos and listened to makeup professionals all rave and rant about using primers. I figured what I was doing worked and I really didn’t need to try anything else out. When Smashbox sent me a box filled with all of their different types of primers, I figured this was the perfect time to give it a try.

You guys, I’m sold! I never knew that it would make such a dramatic difference in the way my makeup lays on my face and stays on all day! Sometimes I do my makeup, leave the house, look in the mirror three hours later and it’s as if all my makeup blew off my face! Since using the Smashbox primers, my makeup now goes on evenly and stays in place all day long. Smashbox has nine different primers that are for every skin type. Not only do they feel like silk gliding onto your face, they are all oil free and won’t irritate your skin. I tested each one to figure out my favorites and to teach you guys the difference between them.

Smashbox Photo Finish, Classic: This is the first primer from Smashbox and the perfect first primer to try out if you’re not sure which one is for you.

Smashbox Photo Finish, Light: This primer is ideal for oily, acne-prone or sensitive skin.

Smashbox Photo Finish, SPF 15: This primer reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. If you are super sun-concious, this is the one for you!

Color Correcting Series:

Smashbox Photo Finish, Color Correcting Blend- This primer counteracts brown spots and helps color correct and even out your skin tone.

Smashbox Photo Finish, Color Correcting Adjust: This primer reduces redness and corrects blotchy skin tone.

Smashbox Photo Finish, Color Correcting Balance- This primer helps brighten up dull skin.

These are my three favorite primers that I used.

Smashbox Photo Finish, Dark Spot Correcting- This primer reduces dark spots, diminishes acne marks and improves radiance. I like to use it under my eyes to help with my dark circles. It also had made a drastic impact on helping my under eye concealer stay in place throughout the day.

Smashbox Photo Finish, Hydrating- This primer helps hydrate the skin and keeps makeup looking fresher, longer. I tend to have really dry skin, so this helps keep my face looking dewing and hydrated.

Smashbox Photo Finish, Luminizing: This primer adds luminosity while filling in fine lines and pores. I love the way it leaves my skin glowing and sets the perfect undertone for my makeup. Now that you are educated on all of the primers that Smashbox has to offer, which one will you be using?

This post is brought to you by Smashbox Cosmetics.

filed in: beauty tips

Kimberly September 25, 2012 at 11:20 am

I have always used the original classic version of their primer, but am anxious to try the dark spot correcting one – I have never seen it before!

pretty little things September 25, 2012 at 11:39 am

this is very interesting – I never knew how to use primer or what it was even for — good to know! xo

Natali September 25, 2012 at 11:40 am

Wow! This all sounds fantastic and I'm eager to try out their primers!
Thanks for this lovely review, it was very helpful!

Priscilla September 25, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I've been using smashbox primer with SPF, but I'm definitely buying the hydrating one next! I also tend to have dry skin.

Lace And Tulle September 25, 2012 at 12:17 pm

you know i always thought the same way as you. Thanks for writing this post! you have inspired me to get one!!!

LEIGH September 25, 2012 at 12:22 pm

I almost switched makeups one time because my powder would come right off! Eye make up wouldn't stay on either! I bought their primer and it all changed! It lasts all day! I forgot to put primer on one time and was so mad that I had already finished my makeup… I had to wash it all off and start over, because I know how well it works!

BrownEyedBeautie87 September 25, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Thanks for writing this article. I am doing one also and I plan to pick up the color correcting one to also do a comparisons, I' ll be sure to line I this article in my future post.
Very informative article.

Rachelle's Jewelry Box September 25, 2012 at 1:21 pm

I love using a primer it really does make a difference for now I'm using MakeUpforever and I love it. when it's done I might give smashbox a try.
xo
Rachelle
htt://pinksole.com

Ellie Pearson September 25, 2012 at 1:24 pm

I've only ever used Porefessional by Benefit but these look great!

Emily September 25, 2012 at 1:37 pm

I've tried the hydrating and the classic photo finish – I actually really love both and use it daily. I'm curious about the color correcting options – I am sure my skin will need some brightening in the winter months! xx

Jackie September 25, 2012 at 2:25 pm

I have never ever used primer either! But you may have just convinced me with this post!

livingchel September 25, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Wow that's a lot of primers? I have used Nars and Laura Mercier primers before, though I have heard that Smashbox is good.

Melanie Liliana September 25, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Oh I am jealous! I didn't even know Smashbox had that many primers.. I've been meaning to use their main one for a while! I think I'm going to try it actually. I just recently got into primer and its amazing! xo

iambornlippy.blogspot.com

the-glitter-life.com September 25, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Eeek I can't wait to try! Definitely the hydrating!

Check out our pink pants on The Glitter Life! http://the-glitter-life.com/2012/09/24/pink-pants/

Amy Shaughnessy September 25, 2012 at 2:51 pm

I tried a sample of that primer before and loved it. I plan on buying it when I run out of what I am currently using.

Amy

Fashion and Beauty Finds

anita_senorita September 25, 2012 at 3:09 pm

I have some red areas in my face so i'd should test the color correcting adjust:)

alison*elle September 25, 2012 at 3:17 pm

I always use primer (including one from Smashbox)… glad you've figured it out now too :) Such a great product!

xo, alison*elle

ashley nicole catherine September 25, 2012 at 3:22 pm

i've been meaning to try smashbox primer – great breakdown!

Megan, TfDiaries.com September 25, 2012 at 3:26 pm

i might look into these, i was using the fine line one from smashbox and didn't like it – maybe i'll try the light
Xo Megan, TfDiaries.com

Kristin Clark September 25, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Thanks you SO much for sharing your experience with all of these! I'm in loveeee with the original 'photo finish' primer, but now I may need to branch out to testing some of the others as well!

xo
Kristin

Karla @ {The Classy Woman} September 25, 2012 at 3:41 pm

I feel the same as you when it comes to primers but I may just have to try one, thank you for the review! What a wonderful gift from Smashbox-lucky gal! :)

Lauren September 25, 2012 at 3:43 pm

This was a great post! I use the Make Up Forever primer but have never tried the Smashbox… I'll have to give it a try! It's amazing the difference primer can make (and how many different types there are).

audrinajulia September 25, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Wow! Smashbox have a wide array selection of primer! I've been using primer for a year now and i love how it did to my make up.It's a must have in my cosmetics now. Love it!

audrinajulia.blogspot.com

Cassidy Short September 25, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Sounds great and thanks for this post – I NEED to invest in primer!

Xoxo
Cassidy

Dina Karivalis September 25, 2012 at 4:17 pm

I've always felt similarly about primer but this is was very informative. I like the luminosity one.
xo Dina

Kim // Six2Eleven September 25, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Primer-mania! Who knew there were so many kinds???
I've always used the green one – but now want to try the dark spot corrector. Thanks!

Kim
Six2Eleven

Fabianna (H.Finn Jewelry) September 25, 2012 at 5:01 pm

I totally agree about the primer! Just started using it again and forgot how great it makes your makeup last and stay fresh. I used to use the Smashbox Classic a few years ago and loved it, but I may have to try one of their new ones too, especially the dark spot correcting one, since I have always had dark circles under my eyes too!

Ana Carneiro September 25, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Ohhh… This is so tempting! My primer finished not very long ago and I've been thinking about buying a new one… Now I might just have to!

My Own Project

Amy September 25, 2012 at 5:36 pm

I have never tried one! Now I am intrigued :)

Amy
itwasloveat.blogspot.com

Rachel September 25, 2012 at 5:50 pm

My best friend was just like you, never saw the point of them before I just kept on going on about how she really ought to use one. I'm living in Los Angeles this year not London, so I've made her my London Beauty Editor so she went to an Avon event for me and was given a Primer to review – like you, this made her try it and fall totally in love with primers, admitting I was right for once! For a heavier gel primer I like to wear under foundation Amazing Cosmetics do a great one, and during the Summer, surprisingly, I find Victoria's Secret's primer spray is pretty fantastic.

Andrea September 25, 2012 at 6:11 pm

I've recently bought the hydrating one during my trip to Chicago and I really love it. In Fall and Winter my skin tends to get really dry, but with this primer there's not dry spot in sight.
xo Andrea
Wonderful and Marvelous

40sClassic September 25, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Thanks for posting at the perfect time, I was going to Sephora today to give this particular product a try, so glad I had a chance to read this so that I can narrow my choice down. Thanks again.

Lindsay September 25, 2012 at 6:39 pm

I've only ever tired the classic…which was just ok..But I'm very interested in trying the Dark Spot Correcting now! But I am a big fan of Smashbox products!

Nicole September 25, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Ever since I saw you instagram this I have been excited to hear your thought! I have only tried the photo finish classic and love it!

The Yuppie Files September 25, 2012 at 8:08 pm

I have never understood primer either, but you have me sold to try it out! Now I need to figure out which one to use!

Britt September 25, 2012 at 10:06 pm

I've wondered what all the colors are for. I use eyelid primer and love it. Maybe I should start using it on my face as well. Thanks for the clarification.

K September 26, 2012 at 12:23 am

Very interesting. I was actually googling smashbox primers to read comments but this is perfect !

Kelsey Nicole September 26, 2012 at 2:14 am

This is so helpful! I cannot tell you how many times I have browsed the primers at Sephora only to be left confused.. so thank you! I have tried the photo finish luminizing primer and loved the way my skin looked. Now I am interested in trying the color correct adjust!

The Merchant Project September 26, 2012 at 3:51 am

love this post! People need to know the truth about primer – it really does work! Xo Catherine

Uncover Fashion September 26, 2012 at 4:03 am

Would you be able to do even comparison shots? I know it would be up close and personal but maybe show the difference between your favourite primer and no primer right after you do your makeup, and then again maybe end or mid day??? :)

Thanks!

Alicia
uncoverfashion.blogspot.ca

True September 26, 2012 at 6:02 am

Great review! Im definately gonna try one out.

-True

Thorunn Ivarsdottir September 26, 2012 at 9:28 pm

omygod how lucky are you, I have only tried their regular clear one :) and I LOVE using primers, right now Im using porefessionals, try it when you run you (in three years haha)

Marissa at Style Cusp September 27, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I have tried a few Smashbox primers – maybe it's time I try a few again!

Savannah December 18, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Thank you SO much for this post. Just recently came across your blog and I am HOOKED! I went out and bought primer yesterday after reading this and I just LOVE it.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas