January 24, 2013

Lipstick Shades

I have to admit that I’m somewhat of a lipstick-aholic. Whether it’s a bright shade of red or a subtle pink, I think everyone looks better (and more lively) with a little color on their lips. I know a lot of women are hesitant to wear lipstick because they don’t want to feel overdone, especially for an “everyday look”. I have found that the key to wearing lipstick during the day is to keep everything else very minimal. I keep my eye makeup very simple with just a few swipes of mascara and add a little bit of highlighter under my eyes and on my cheekbones. I’m always playing around with different shades of lipstick, but the ones above are definitely my top colors I keep going back to. I also color matched each shade of lipstick in Photoshop so I could show you guys a more accurate shade of each color.

You can also view my past favorite lipstick shades here!

Lippy “Primrose Hill Picnic”
YSL “Fushia Dore”
Jane Iredale “Rose” + Pure Gloss in “Candied Rose”
NARS “Heat Wave”
Revlon “Really Red”
Giorgio Armani #400
Burberry “Pink Azalea”
Revlon “Raspberry Bite”
Revlon “Plum”

filed in: beauty tips

Alex January 24, 2013 at 5:00 am

I LOVE Lippy Primrose Hill Picnic!!

XO Alex

Stephanie Sterjovski January 24, 2013 at 5:09 am

Heat Wave is my absolute fave! :)

Christine @ The Pantry Drawer January 24, 2013 at 5:29 am

the YSL color is gorgeous! I have Heat Wave and it’s definitely my favorite lipstick – the color (I have olive-tone skin) and texture are amazing and it lasts forever!

Camille January 24, 2013 at 5:38 am

Love it! The problem I run into is I hate reapplying and wearing bright lipstick and having it fade into that yucky stain look! Do you have any suggestions for making bright lipsticks last longer?

alison*elle January 24, 2013 at 5:44 am

I love lipstick too though I do tend to stick to my comfort zone. You look great in all those bold colour, Julia!

xo, alison*elle

Allison January 24, 2013 at 5:48 am

I love, love, love “impassioned” by MAC. Just got it for Christmas and it’s become my fav thing to wear! I am not a lipstick girl but I think this shade has potentially converted me!! (It’s a really great pink)

Adiel January 24, 2013 at 5:56 am

Love all of the shades here, but Heat Wave still tops my list of faves!

Tina January 24, 2013 at 5:57 am

All shades look great on you! :) Raspberry bite and Pink Azalea are very special! cheers.

Christina-Lauren January 24, 2013 at 6:11 am

What a fun and colorful lipstick guide! Love bright colors – they’re always so vibrant, vivacious, and bold.

Christina-Lauren
Inspirations & Celebrations

Inspiring Style & Celebrating Life

Celine January 24, 2013 at 7:01 am

These shades are stunning, it really shows what a bit of lipstick can do to brighten a whole look!

- Celine

La Petite Olga January 24, 2013 at 7:07 am

You look really great with lipstick on! I’ve been getting into wearing red during the day lately and I really enjoy it…

xx Olga
La Petite Olga

Glamorous Mama January 24, 2013 at 7:14 am

I love the Nars heat wave, one of my fav reds! I agree with keeping face makeup minimal when wearing bright lips! I’d rather have bold lips everyday anyway!

Love your blog

Janelle

Nadine January 24, 2013 at 8:42 am

Wow, every single one suits you very well! Im impressed :) xx, Nadine

Sophie January 24, 2013 at 9:53 am

I LOVE Nars heatwave on you and Revlon Raspberry Bite, they suit you so perfectly.

Leanne January 24, 2013 at 10:39 am

I love the Primrose Hill Picnic pink. It’s gorgeous. A red lip is also such a great way of polishing up an outfit

Love from South Africa

Rachelle January 24, 2013 at 11:23 am

I’m into lipsticks as well and wear them everything I love MACs really red, ultra darling, up town girl,….and so on.

Xo
Http://pinksole.com

Jenna January 24, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Such a great way to see how different shades look, way better then trying to endlessly guess at the drugstore or in the beauty department :) I’ve also found Revlon’s “Red Revolution” is great – an excellent introductory red.

sammie January 24, 2013 at 1:15 pm

oh i love all of these :)

Amberly January 24, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Love these colors…maroons are my favorite because it’s kind of a mix between pink and red. It’s not as bright so I don’t feel SO overdone, but still have a pop of color on my lips.

Amberly

Meaghann January 24, 2013 at 1:16 pm

I have the NARS Heat Wave! I love it…. and I am loving the berry colors you are wearing! I’ll have to try those next!
xo
Meg

Caitlin Wilson January 24, 2013 at 1:31 pm

What a great post! I’m a bit of a lipstick-aholic, too. Really any makeup, now that I come to think of it. My favorite drugstore brand is definitely Revlon; the quality is fantastic, and the colors are always so vivid!

Caitlin
re-mix-her.com

Adela January 24, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Fabulous post! They all look so great on you. I do love lipsticks too and have the same one by YSL. Wear mostly pinks though and I think it’s time to try something new..
Adela x

misspinkstyle.net

Ashleigh @ Jolie Jouel January 24, 2013 at 1:38 pm

So cute! You honestly look great in every shade! ~ ashleigh

My jewelry blog: http://www.joliejouel.com

Chelsea January 24, 2013 at 1:43 pm

My friend and I were just talking yesterday about how you were our inspiration to start wearing lipstick more often! You always look so beautiful!

-Classy Chic & Chardonnay

Mrsjpruitt January 24, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Do you have any information on lip care? My lips get so chapped in the winter that wearing lipstick is nearly impossible. Also, do you line your lips or, how on earth do you get it to look so perfect?!

Lauren January 24, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Thanks for this! You have a perfect palette for all these fun colors!

abigailsterling January 24, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Gorgeous lip colors on you!

x the fabulous life of a natural disaster

Beautylovesbooks January 24, 2013 at 2:26 pm

You always look amazing with red lipstick! I even bought a few lipsticks because of you!

Drew @ Catfish & Caviar January 24, 2013 at 2:42 pm

I am a big fan of that Lippy pink color! I love bright lips with neutral makeup.

Molly January 24, 2013 at 2:46 pm

I love the Lippy Primrose Hill Picnic and Armani #400! I’m inspired to try out some new lipstick shades!!

glutenfreemolly.wordpress.com

Kenzie Lee January 24, 2013 at 2:53 pm

I have recently come around to the idea of everyday lipstick and I am loving it! Thanks for the tips and color demos!

X Kenzie

Kelli Anne January 24, 2013 at 3:04 pm

I Have been dying for Nars Heat Wave because you feature it so much, but this post has definitely convinced me I need more raspberry colors! That burberry maroon color is to die!

pretty little things January 24, 2013 at 3:11 pm

great to know — I’ve been wanting to wear lipstick but afraid of buying the wrong color! xo

Alison January 24, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Revlon’s “Raspberry Bite” is one of my favorites! And how amazing is YSL’s glossy stain? I have “Rouge Laque” (No. 9) and am completely obsessed!

XO, Alison

Amanda January 24, 2013 at 3:41 pm

They are all amazing! I am so glad you did this post. I always love your lipstick! My favorites are the Lippy bright pink and Nars red!

amanda
thesequinedspaniel.blogspot.com

Kory January 24, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Thank you so much for this! You always seem to pull off lipstick so well, and I’ve been inspired to try it too.

Leigh January 24, 2013 at 3:45 pm

I’ve recently started loving lipsticks although I don’t wear them too often yet (especially in this cold weather… I can barely keep my lips maintainably chapped…) But when I do wear lipstick I am loving the Bare Essentials lipstick! It soaks into my lips more and does start to come off in weird ways like my Revlon did. I might need to try some of these though!

Shay Lianna January 24, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Those are my three favorite color families for lipstick, too! I will be adding all of these to my wishlist :D.

Also, I am constantly amazed by how different Heat Wave looks on different people! It looks so much more red on you than it does on me!

xo
Shay

Bridget January 24, 2013 at 4:04 pm

Ahh! I love Heat Wave and the Gorgio Armani one!!

Steph January 24, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Hi Julia! You look beautiful and I can say that following your blog for the past two years has finally given me the courage to try out lipstick :) I’ve always been girly but feared lipstick, until I saw how great it looks on you. Question for you though, do you ever use matte lipstick? Or do you feel like it gives you a “just ate a red popsicle” look? I’m struggling to decide if I like it!

Nikki Rappaport January 24, 2013 at 4:09 pm

This is a great post. Thanks for trying on all of these for us!

Alicia January 24, 2013 at 4:14 pm

Love these looks. The problem I have, though, is that I have really dry skin and lips. I’m a chapstick-a-holic and lipstick only exacerbates the problem.

Any tips or tricks from a lipstick pro?

Lauren January 24, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Julia, thanks for the post! I remember from your previous lipstick shades post I actually bought a few of them because I liked them so much! I find it difficult sometimes to pick out shades, so its nice to actually see it on someone. Loving the red one by Revlon! xo

Corbynn January 24, 2013 at 4:20 pm

My favorite is the rose/candied rose combo. Pink is a more flattering color on me than red, so I shy away from reds in general. Love them all though!

Corbynn
thesistersinthecity.com

Donna January 24, 2013 at 4:30 pm

Love the colors you chose! I’ve recently become obsessed with lipstick – thanks for your previous post on lipsticks too, I found a few new loves because of that!

Kayla Gilbert January 24, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing! You always have the best lips in your photos. My favorite is Lippy “Primrose Hill Picnic.” Must purchase! : )

Kayla

Kelly January 24, 2013 at 4:45 pm

I would have never guessed the Lippy colors were that pigmented! Loving that color :)

//Birdie Shoots//

Lily January 24, 2013 at 5:16 pm

Great post and pictures, Julia!! Love bold lips as well. The 1st pink ‘Hill Picnic’ is too adorable.

You look great in pink and red hues!

Cheers from the Bay Area!

Lily

Heather January 24, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Beautiful chart- I’m such a sucker for lipstick! If you like reds I bet you would love Nars Dragon Girl!

Chelsea January 24, 2013 at 5:30 pm

You look beautiful in every single shade! I love bright lips on others and I need to make 2013 my year to try them on myself.

xoxo,