January 17, 2013

Styling A Cape + Favorites Around The Web

Cape Queen’s Wardrobe/ Sweater Gap (old, similar)/ Jeans 7FAM/ Boots Michael Kors/ Purse Stella McCartney/ Lipgloss Stila

I’ve always thought capes were really chic (thanks to Rachel Zoe) and have had this one sitting in my closet for quite some time. I pulled it out last weekend to bundle up for the Lab Event and have been wearing it ever since. I love when I re-discover an item that has been hiding in the back of my closet. On another note, I have been working out almost everyday trying to get back in shape after the holidays. Actually, I have been trying to get back in shape ever since I graduated in college. I was so active with dance and working out with a trainer in college and have had a hard time getting motivated and making the time to stay fit since then. I have been taking spin classes and the occasional pilates class, which I both really enjoy! I would love to know, what are some of your favorites ways to stay in shape? Or healthy eating tips? I’m always curious about other’s fitness routines and ways to stay healthy and in shape.

My current favorite things around the web:

-Leslie Mann wearing Honor NYC was hands down best dressed (in my book) at the Critics’ Choice Awards. Had you heard of this line before? I had not, but I’m so glad I did! I have been drooling all week over their stunning designs and feminine frocks.

-I tried on this white leather Theory jacket in their store and can’t get it out of my mind- It would be oh so perfect for spring in SF!

-I created a Pinterest board dedicated to Valentine’s Day sweets and am planning on trying a few out this weekend. It’s never too early, right?

-I shared my favorite spot to dine for V Day  in SF (or a date night) over on Shop Sweet Things.

-I added a bunch of new favorite’s to the Glam Shop- You should check it out ;)

Happy Weekend!

filed in: julia's style

Ashley January 19, 2013 at 11:33 pm

Hi Julia, love your blog! So clean and fresh.

Capes have become a winter staple of mine- and to think, just a few seasons ago I would’ve found them too fussy. Can’t seem to get enough of ‘em now!

Have a great weekend,
Ashley

Lauren Ragan January 20, 2013 at 12:45 am

Try cardio bar!! Or the bar method! They have a lot here in LA, and I would imagine they have some in SF too!! It helped me get my dancer body back … Downside is its a little pricey! But I share your frustration teammate! When we all get together for a reunion I’m sure you will have that Hot body!!

ellen January 20, 2013 at 12:56 am

Such an awesome cape, love the shoulder details- fun!

Cherelynn January 20, 2013 at 3:02 am

Well howdy ho to this super Saturday!That cape is amazing! I hope you are enjoying the weekend and getting to do some fun family activities! Be sure and put a note in your snood that TEEN WEEK starts Feb 1st on the Makeup University blog with MASSIVE giveaways and celebrity guest blog posts! See you soon!
Ciao ciao for now!
Sincerely,
Cherelynn

Darcy January 20, 2013 at 4:27 am

Love this cape! The shoulder detail is amazing!

-Darcy

Sarah Brooke January 20, 2013 at 6:36 am

Super cute. I have been wanting a cape for a while now but for some reason, styling it has eluded me.

I honestly like staying in shape by changing it up. If I have to do the same thing everyday I can guarantee you that I won’t stick with it. I have done Jillian Michaels DVDs, Insanity, the good ole elliptical, running, biking, etc. Anything and everything really, and I just do it until I feel like I’ve gotten a workout.

Lauren January 20, 2013 at 10:55 am

This is absolutely gorgeous!

Lauren x
Gordon + Gold

Camila Faria January 21, 2013 at 12:53 am

You look absolutely adorable with this cape. Love it, very chic.

Abby January 21, 2013 at 1:54 am

I agree. Rachel Zoe turned this into a fashion statement and I think you looked fantastic with that cape on!

Btw, hope you can check out my new post about my new favorite blazer, also a birthday gift from my boyf :-) I’d love to hear what you think!

Ashley January 21, 2013 at 4:46 am

That cape looks darling on you and I love how you styled it!

I too had the same problem after graduating, I discovered that dedicating a specific time each day has been extremely helpful for me along with changing it up and trying different classes. I really enjoy hot yoga as well as, spin class. As for eating healthy tips I am constantly looking on Pinterest for healthier alternatives to sweets, etc. It has been really helpful and i’ve found a few new staples along the way!

xx
Ashley

Carey King January 21, 2013 at 12:17 pm

HEy Julia

I’m a pilates instructor and my husband and brother are personal trainers.. Couple things that seem to make the biggest difference to weight loss- cardio, but specifically doing more than 30mins of it, and keeping your heart rate up, I find running works best (your legs might feel bigger to start but its just because you muscles are ‘pumped’ and full of water but you’ll feel lean quickly).. Squats, lunges, push-ups, dips all great.. and of coarse plenty pilates:) I also eat Paleo and I found I finally started getting the last few Kg’s off when I started Paleo, plus its a very easy and balanced way to eat:) Hope it helps:)

Alex January 21, 2013 at 4:32 pm

Hey Julia! It’s Alex/NutriCat, the dietitian from UOP. Love following your blog- thanks for adding to my online shopping addiction :) have you tried Bar classes? They have them in SF and they are amazing. I remember leaving dance after college and having to figure out how to get back in shape on my own! It’s always more of a struggle but I find that keeping a similar schedule to the one you had in college helps. If you’re looking for healthy recipes, check out my site: http://www.delicious-knowledge.com
Have a great day! Alex

Jenny January 21, 2013 at 10:46 pm

i really love this cape! you styled it perfectly.

as for fitness goes, i think the most in shape AND leanest i have ever been was when i was lifting weights 4x a week and one day of short cardio (2-3 miles running). i was eating a clean diet as well. i truly believe that lifting weights does amazing things for the body as far as shaping and toning. if you are eating healthy, you won’t bulk up.

recently i started crossfit and i love it. everything can be modified or scaled down to what you can do. it’s a great family environment and a great workout.

another side note, i had to cut out dairy when i was nursing my daughter because she was allergic and after doing that i really felt a difference in my energy. i also rarely had bloating. i think eating as little dairy as possible would be one of my tips too!

hope that helped! if you have any questions, email me! also, my sister is a personal trainer and would totally be willing to give you tips/suggestions/recipes/advice if you want! she loves helping people reach their goals!

goodbadandfab January 22, 2013 at 4:51 am

Love, love, love!!!

personal style and fashion musings of a LA fashion lawyer living life in the fab lane!

Jenny January 23, 2013 at 11:24 pm