Last Wednesday, Thomas took me to Colorado for my birthday. We stayed at Dunton Hot Springs, a resort that I’ve had saved on my computer for the past two years. We knew it would be cold, but we weren’t expecting the winter wonderland that we arrived to! It had snowed the night before we arrived, continuing for the next few days, creating a white blanket of perfectly fresh snow.
We spent most of our trip in a constant rotation of hiking out in the snow and defrosting inside with hot drinks and lots of blankets. It’s been years since I’ve been to the snow (not counting NYC during fashion week) so I couldn’t have been happier with the surprise! We really had the most magical time. This was my first time to Colorado and I can’t wait to go back- with plans of exploring Telluride next time!
I packed lots of layers since I knew it was going to be in the 30s and below the whole time. This Penfield jacket is always the first thing I pack when we’re going to a more “outdoorsy” destination. I bought it from Madewell last winter but it’s available here this season. You can see how I’ve previously worn it in this post and this post.
Two items that were on heavy rotation during our time in Colorado: this beanie (that’s only $16!) and these Sorel boots. With a few cold weather trips coming up over the next winter months, I know it’ll come in handy. I also got this Patagonia beanie in both colors because I couldn’t decide!
Every view around the property was scenic! We felt like we were living in a real life snow globe. From the frosted trees, to the glittering snow, to the log cabins with smoke simmering from the chimneys. I grabbed Thomas’s hand on our hike and turned to him with the biggest smile on my face and said “This, this makes me so happy”. No city could ever compare to the beauty of mother nature!
If you’re looking for some great layering pieces for this coming winter, this J.Crew turtleneck is thin enough to use as a base layer, but thick enough to be worn by itself. I’ve had this Patagonia fleece for a while now- using it for morning hikes in SF, a light layer for coffee runs, or a warm blanket beneath a puffy jacket.
Shop the look
You May Also Like
- Snow In Charleston Posted in Julia's Style, Travel, Style, Casual, Seasonal, Winter, Charleston
- Diablo Lake Posted in Julia's Style, Travel, Style, Casual, Seasonal, Summer
- Winter Wonderland Posted in Julia's Style, Travel
- Alpaca Cape Posted in Julia's Style, Travel
- Winter Bright Posted in Julia's Style, Travel
- What My Nightly Routine Should Be vs…What It Really Is Posted in Beauty
- In The Desert Posted in Julia's Style, Travel
- 5 Favorite Spots For Fall Foliage Posted in Travel, Activities
- Lakeside In Weggis Posted in Julia's Style, Travel