I can remember being in 2nd grade and picking out my dress for school pictures. Getting a new dress was a big deal and one I didn’t take lightly. Even at a young age, I loved all things girly and had a pretty decisive eye for what I liked (my mom likes to remind me of this- often my choices were questionable). I remember that dress so vividly though, I fell in love with it the moment I saw it at a little children’s boutique (which was also where I got my hair cut). I begged my mom for it and finally she caved in, saying I could get it for school pictures. It was a (almost?) maxi dress, with buttons all down the front, beige and white gingham with a doily-like collar. I’m not sure what seven year old would be drawn to a dress like this, (my teacher ended up having an eerily similar dress) but I absolutely adored that thing and treasured it so much, wearing it as much as I could.
Maybe that was the start of my love for dresses. It’s definitely one of the earlier memories I have about fashion and expressing myself through my style. I would say that my style got worse (?) overtime as I cared more about fitting in than I did about wearing things I actually liked. It’s funny, because I think I became the most comfortable with my style once I started my blog. I used to be so worried about being dressed in what was “cool”, not wanting to stick out, losing my own sense of self and style. After creating Gal Meets Glam, I started to feel more confident in my choices and was proud of my girly style!
Fashion is so wonderful because it’s such a personal experience. My life does not revolve around it (I could easily part with every item in my wardrobe if need be), but I find joy in creating looks that express how I feel on the inside! So what are some things that inspire me? I love watching old movies, looking at vintage magazine editorials and people watching when we’re traveling. I love anything ladylike and feminine. Just like I did when I was young, I fall head over heels for a beautiful dress. They have always been and will always be my favorite thing to wear.
This navy lace beauty is my favorite style to wear- fitted at the waist, falling just below the knee with a short sleeve and delicate fabric. Self Portrait makes some of the most beautiful dresses. I also have this one last seen in this post.
Shop the look
You May Also Like
- From Day to Date Night Posted in Julia's Style, Style, Pink, Dresses, Accessories, Shoes, Classic, Dressy, Seasonal, Summer
- Blush & Lace Posted in Julia's Style, food, Travel, Style, Pink, Dresses, Accessories, Shoes, Bags, Dressy, California, San Francisco, Restaurants
- Wall of Roses Posted in Julia's Style, Style, Dresses, Shoes, Bags, Dressy, Seasonal, Spring
- Ladylike Dressing Posted in Julia's Style, Style, Pink, Accessories, Shoes, Seasonal, Winter, Spring
- Nude Ballet Flats Posted in Julia's Style, Style, Dresses, Accessories, Shoes, Classic, Seasonal, Spring
- White and Blue Posted in Julia's Style, Style, Dresses, Classic, Seasonal, Spring, Charleston
- Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild Posted in Julia's Style, Travel, Style, Pink, Dresses, Accessories, Shoes, Bags, Hats, Classic, Dressy, Seasonal, Summer, Europe
- Villa Feltrinelli Posted in Julia's Style, Travel, Style, Dresses, Shoes, Bags, Dressy, Seasonal, Spring, Hotels, Europe, Travel Guide
- Fall Florals In Quebec City Posted in Julia's Style, Style, Dresses, Accessories, Shoes, Bags, Classic, Dressy, Seasonal, Fall