Our week in Italy flew by and before we knew it, we were back on a flight to London. We stayed at Rose’s place where she so graciously let us keep some of our additional luggage, so we didn’t have to bring our cooler-weather pieces for the countryside to Italy. We spent a few days in London, catching up on work and getting ready for the second half of our trip in the English Countryside. When we booked our trip, we hadn’t realized that we were heading out to the country on a bank holiday weekend, so we left extra early that Friday morning to beat traffic out to Somerset.
The drive out was a rainy one, but when the weather started to clear up as we got closer, there seemed to be an endless sea of bright yellow rapeseed fields. For miles and miles, all we could see was yellow, the most beautiful golden shade of yellow. After that, it was red poppies, tall green grass and sheep and cows. I have to give a full disclosure before I continue…I have been dreaming of visiting the English Countryside for as long as I can remember. I know there are a million and one places to visit all over the world for all different reasons, but the English Countryside was my number one. Thomas says it’s because of my crazy love for English (especially period pieces) movies and shows and I can’t say that he’s not right.
We pulled up to our home for the weekend, Babington House in Somerset, and I started to get giddy with excitement. We hadn’t even done or seen anything yet, but I already knew I loved everything about the countryside. We walked out into the brisk afternoon and grabbed a healthy lunch (much needed after Italy!) until our room was ready. Antsy to get out and explore, we scarfed down our food, grabbed our jackets, boots and cameras and were out the door. We were excited to explore the 18 acres of property (that used to be a village dating back to medieval times!) that includes a walled garden, lake, indoor and outdoor pools, tennis courts and spa along with the main house (where our room was) that’s filled with quiet little nooks to cozy up and feel as if that place is yours alone.
It ended up being a lot cooler in the countryside than we were anticipating. It seemed as though Spring hadn’t quite hit just yet, but we did get a glimpse of it at the very end of our trip. Luckily, I had packed a few blazers, trench coats and jeans that I wore on rotation. I pre-ordered this Smythe gingham blazer months ago and almost returned it when I saw J.Crew come out with this less expensive one, but ended up keeping my original pick because of it’s unique flattering cut and leather elbow patches. I’m glad I did because it’s such a gorgeous piece and my love for gingham will never die.
We spent most of the afternoon outside, but as the evening chill started to come in, we headed back to our room to warm up with hot tea, sweets, a lavender scented bubble bath and a crackling fire.
You May Also Like
- Exploring the Cotswolds Posted in Julia's Style, food, Travel, Style, Accessories, Shoes, Bows, Classic, Casual, Seasonal, Spring, Hotels, Europe, Travel Guide, Restaurants
- Spring in Somerset Posted in Julia's Style, food, Travel, Style, Dresses, Accessories, Shoes, Classic, Seasonal, Spring, Hotels, Europe, Travel Guide, Restaurants
- This Flower Farm Will Make You Want To Become A Flower Farmer Posted in Julia's Style, Travel, Style, Casual, Seasonal, Summer
- A Cozy Sweater + Leather Pants Posted in Julia's Style, Travel, Style, Accessories, Shoes, Bags, Classic, Casual, Seasonal, Fall
- Tuscan Sun Posted in Julia's Style, food, Travel, Style, Dresses, Accessories, Shoes, Hats, Sunglasses, Seasonal, Spring, Hotels, Europe, Travel Guide, Restaurants
- Venice to Burano Island Posted in Julia's Style, food, Travel, Style, Dresses, Accessories, Shoes, Bags, Seasonal, Spring, Hotels, Europe, Travel Guide, Restaurants
- On The Ranch Posted in Julia's Style, Travel, Style, Casual, Seasonal, Summer
- You Will Fall In Love With This Cape I Wore In Scotland Posted in Julia's Style, Travel, Style, Accessories, Shoes, Classic, Casual, Seasonal, Fall
- Ruffled Plaid Mini Skirt Posted in Julia's Style, Travel, Style, Accessories, Shoes, Classic, Casual, Seasonal, Fall