I think Savannah, Georgia wins for one of the prettiest cities we’ve visited in the US. Everything from the cobblestone streets, to the historical architecture, the Spanish Moss draped trees and beautiful parks, it’s amazing that it’s taken us this long to visit. We stayed at the amazing Montage Palmetto Bluff, located about 30 minutes outside of Savannah. We stayed there with the hopes of being able to drive into the city and explore, then head back and get in the pool afterwards. Our plan worked out perfectly, we reached a peek of needing to cool off on the first day (woah- definitely felt like I’d done hot yoga 3x in a row at one point!) but we knew we were close enough to come back for more the next day.
Before arriving in Savannah we knew of two spots we wanted to make sure to visit, Forsyth Park and Jones Street. Thomas found a parking spot at the north end of Forsyth Park on Bull Street, which is where we began our tour of the city. As it turns out, we got really lucky with Bull Street being a fantastic spot to walk down because you’ll hit a new park every few minutes. The first park we came across was Monterey Square, a quiet park with lots of hydrangeas, tall Spanish Moss covered trees and the Pulaski Monument. It’s also surrounded by some beautiful homes including the Mercer Williams House, which now acts as a museum.
I’ve never experienced a combination of heat and humidity like we did in Savannah. It was on another level that day! On the radio they said it was 94 but felt like 113 because of the humidity. We stocked up on water bottles and popped into a few places to cool off with some iced tea at least a handful of times. Regardless, we loved walking around the city, which felt relaxed and quiet even though there we lots of tourists (mostly in horse drawn carriage tours). I wore this silky Pankaj & Nidhi dress that I bought from Anthro (I’m just in love with the print and mint color!) paired with my favorite pink Mansur Gavriel bag.
Next up was Chippewa Square, most famous for being the park in which Forrest Gump sat on a bench and told strangers his life story. We had done a bit of research ahead of time and found a chocolate shop steps away from the square. We had joked about taking a “life is like a box of chocolates” photo in the park and when we wandered into the chocolate shop (Chocolat by Andam Turoni), we couldn’t resist…the sweets or the photo op! But honestly, it turned out to be the cutest chocolate shop I’ve ever been to. The ornate and intricate chocolates were perfectly displayed in glass cabinets surrounded by floor to ceiling displays of old books, typewriters and love notes, making the whole experience of picking out your chocolates a whole lot sweeter!
As the day continued, we made our way north, coming up to Jones Street. We set off walking up and down the street, stopping to take pictures of our favorite houses, which meant we stopped at almost every single house :) When we were walking along Jones Street we met a reader that recommended we go to Collins Quarter to eat. Combined with the multiple emails we got, also suggesting Collins Quarter, we knew just what to do when our stomachs started to rumble for lunch. After a reasonable 10 minute wait, we were seated and itching to order. The food was delicious and particularly light and refreshing considering that it was super duper hot that day. We split the watermelon salad (so good!) and I ordered the smashed avocado while Thomas got the ahi poke tacos.
Shop the look
You May Also Like
- The Colors Of Charleston Posted in Julia's Style, Travel, Style, Pink, Dresses, Classic, Seasonal, Summer, Charleston
- White Summer Dress Posted in Julia's Style, Travel, Style, Dresses, Accessories, Bags, Classic, Seasonal, Summer
- Rainbow of Stripes Posted in Julia's Style, Travel, Style, Casual, Seasonal, Summer
- From Day to Date Night Posted in Julia's Style, Style, Pink, Dresses, Accessories, Shoes, Classic, Dressy, Seasonal, Summer
- Braids, Two Ways Posted in Julia's Style, Style, Dresses, Classic, Seasonal, Summer, Beauty, Hair
- 3 Key Pieces To Pack For Labor Day Weekend Posted in Travel, Style, Dresses, Accessories, Bags, Casual, Seasonal, Summer, Packing
- Velvet Blush Posted in Julia's Style, Travel, Style, Pink, Casual, Seasonal, Summer
- When the sunshine calls… Posted in Julia's Style, Style, Pink, Dresses, Classic, Casual, Seasonal, Spring
- Pretty Pink Dress Posted in Julia's Style, Style, Pink, Dresses, Accessories, Bags, Classic, Seasonal, Spring, Charleston