During certain times of the year here in San Francisco (especially in our neighborhood), it feels like you can’t escape the fog unless you venture way out of the city. Instead of trying to escape it this week, we decided to embrace it by heading over to the Marin Headlands. I put on this weather appropriate, layered outfit from Old Navy and we set off on a drive, looking to see if we could discover anything new. We’ve always wanted to go out to Point Bonita Lighthouse, but we can never seem to time it right with their open hours. It’s actually only open Saturday through Monday from 12:30-3:30pm, which is unfortunate because I’m sure it would be an amazing spot to catch a sunset. The areas around the lighthouse are just as pretty though, with views that make the drive worth it.
I went into Old Navy last week and scored on some new pieces, particularly these dark mid-rise skinny jeans (I also have a white pair that are on constant rotation- the fit is amazing!) The end of summer and the start of fall always seems to be the time of year where I stalk up on denim. We actually just bought Thomas three pairs of jeans this week, which doubles the number of jeans he wears! As you can imagine, I have my fair share of denim. When I buy new jeans here are the three things I focus on: occasion, fit and comfort. I like to have a variety of jeans to match every occasion, whether that’s casual everyday jeans or jeans that I can dress up with a blouse and heels. Specifically for the occasion I focus on style, wash and distress. To me, fit is all about how flattering the style is on my body. We all have our favorite styles and brands of jeans that we love because they embrace our curves, while also slimming our shape. Innovative new fabrics have made jeans more comfortable than ever, which is certainly important when selecting more slimming pairs of jeans or jeans that you’re going to be more active in, such as going out and adventuring.
Closed or open, the lighthouse is still a cool spot to come out and see. We recommend the drive up over Hawk Hill and down the one way coastal route. The views on this route are breathtaking. As you walk down the paved path towards the lighthouse you can look down to a rocky beach filled with harbor seals, which are the cute silver and grey spotted kinds. They are much cuter and less obnoxious, in my opinion, compared to sea lions (which San Francisco is famous for). Their smaller flippers make them less adapted to land so that’s why you often see them on beaches rather than high up on rocks, docks or even boats, like sea lions.
Whether you live somewhere that always requires a bit of layers (like me) or are prepping for fall, learning how to layer is always helpful. For this in-between time, not that cold but definitely not warm, I’ll use lighter fabrics and blouses instead of heavier sweaters in the winter. A simple striped tee, like this Old Navy one, acts as a great base. Next, I’ll have a lightweight cotton button down (worn under or over) and top off with a field or denim jacket. I was also pretty excited when I found these leopard flats at Old Navy for under $25!
Thank you to Old Navy for sponsoring this post.
Shop the look
You May Also Like
- A Cozy Sweater + Leather Pants Posted in Julia's Style, Travel, Style, Accessories, Shoes, Bags, Classic, Casual, Seasonal, Fall
- These Are My Top 7 Picks For Transitional Fall Coats Posted in Julia's Style, Style, Classic, Casual, Seasonal, Fall
- Coffee Talk: Favorite Coffee Shops in San Francisco Posted in Julia's Style, Travel, Style, Casual, Seasonal, Spring, San Francisco
- Ruffled Plaid Mini Skirt Posted in Julia's Style, Travel, Style, Accessories, Shoes, Classic, Casual, Seasonal, Fall
- Point Reyes Posted in Julia's Style, Travel, Style, Casual, Seasonal, Spring, Activities, Travel Guide, California
- Sweater Weather Posted in Julia's Style, Style, Accessories, Shoes, Bags, Classic, Casual, Seasonal, Fall
- Sunrise & Sunset on Lake Massawippi Posted in Julia's Style, Style, Accessories, Shoes, Casual, Seasonal, Fall
- You Will Fall In Love With This Cape I Wore In Scotland Posted in Julia's Style, Travel, Style, Accessories, Shoes, Classic, Casual, Seasonal, Fall
- Blue & White Floral Trench Posted in Julia's Style, food, Travel, Style, Accessories, Shoes, Bags, Classic, Casual, Seasonal, Spring, Europe, Travel Guide, Restaurants