When Neiman Marcus and Shopstyle asked me to come film at the Shopstyle Social House to share some of my top tips for tackling New York Fashion Week, I jumped at the opportunity (make sure you scroll to the bottom to see the video). Seeing as this was at least the 7th time that I’ve made it for NYFW, there are a ton of lessons that I’ve learned along the way. NYFW is such a unique experience that you have to have a plan for tackling it, otherwise you’ll find yourself exhausted from running around all over the place.
My top tips for tackling Fashion Week are: Order things online way in advance so that you have time for returns and reorders. Plan outfits ahead of time so you can keep packing to a minimum and make it easier to get out of the door in the morning. Since there’s no way to make every show keep an A and B list of events to attend, that way you don’t jeopardize missing one of your top shows in order to make another show earlier in the day that you’re less excited about. Undertand your maps so that you know where to get on the subway, pickup cabs, or even what route to walk (one block can save you 5 minutes in drive time). Share cabs or Ubers as much as possible since most people fall on similar schedules. Keep snacks in your bag, as your sure to lose energy throughout the day. Always have a backup charger (I use an insanely big one that lasts the whole week). Finally, if you like to shop like me, bring an extra unpacked duffel bag so that you don’t have to buy another suitcase on the way home.
That’s the plan, but in reality something always changes. No matter how much I prep for FW there always seems to be something that I forget to pack or something I don’t have that would have completed an outfit. So I always find myself making a few stops into my favorite shops to pickup last minute items.
In case you didn’t see it from other bloggers you might follow, the Shopstyle Social House was setup for a few days for bloggers to come in and borrow clothes from great retailers like Neiman Marcus. I plan and buy all of my outfits in advance, but of course, it’s always nice to have some back-up options. I went and pulled this look- a silk blouse by BCBG and this insanely gorgeous maxi skirt by Milly. I paired the two pieces with two of my favorite trends for fall: mules and velvet. We shot our video all around the Social House, including on the terrace which has an incredible view. Make sure to check it out at the end of the post!
Thank you to ShopStyle and Neiman Marcus for sponsoring this post.
You May Also Like
- Fall Florals In Quebec City Posted in Julia's Style, Style, Dresses, Accessories, Shoes, Bags, Classic, Dressy, Seasonal, Fall
- Lace Mini Dress & My Favorite Bag For Fall Posted in Julia's Style, Style, Dresses, Accessories, Bags, Classic, Seasonal, Fall
- Silk Dress & Sneakers Posted in Julia's Style, Style, Pink, Dresses, Accessories, Shoes, Bags, Classic, Casual, Seasonal, Fall
- From Day to Date Night Posted in Julia's Style, Style, Pink, Dresses, Accessories, Shoes, Classic, Dressy, Seasonal, Summer
- The Jumpsuit Posted in Julia's Style, Style, Pink, Accessories, Bags, Classic, Casual, Seasonal, Summer, Fall
- Styling A Slip Skirt Posted in Julia's Style, Style, Accessories, Shoes, Classic, Dressy, Seasonal, Fall
- Finding The Perfect Sweater For Fall Posted in Julia's Style, Travel, Style, Accessories, Bags, Classic, Casual, Seasonal, Fall
- A Classic Black & White Blazer Posted in Julia's Style, Style, Accessories, Bags, Classic, Casual, Seasonal, Fall
- Sweater Weather Posted in Julia's Style, Style, Accessories, Shoes, Bags, Classic, Casual, Seasonal, Fall