The French Riviera is a special place. This was really our first time getting to experience it and we were in awe of the beauty we saw. From the pastels of St. Tropez, to the bougainvillea of Grimaud, the blues of Nice and the rainbow town of Villefrance-sur-Mer, there’s something around every corner. The people watching is fantastic, the seafood is delicious and the shopping is out of this world! But my favorite part? All of the architecture. One sight, located in Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat, is Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild, an incredible pink villa from the early 1900s. Long before we even mapped out where we would be staying, I had this on my list of must activities. A giant pink palace surrounded by a sea of gardens? Count me in!
As a popular tourist destination, we knew this was a hot spot during June. Thomas and I planned ahead and decided to arrive towards the end of the day. We figured people would be trickling out, tired from the sun and heat. And we were right! The villa closes at 6, but they stop letting people in at 5:30, so we arrived around 4:30. That gave us just enough time to explore the eight garden and tour the main home. This was definitely an ideal time to visit, especially with the golden glow of the afternoon sun setting down over the water- a magical sight!
Having just inherited her father’s considerable wealth, Béatrice Ephrussi de Rothschild purchased the property in 1905 and got right to work building the gardens, an endeavor that would take 7 years in total. In 1907, they began construction on the villa, and in 1912, main areas of the garden were finally landscaped. This was the same year she finally moved in, making it her winter home. Prior to her death in 1934, Béatrice donated the villa, its art collection, and the land to Académie des Beaux-Arts. During World War II the property was abandoned, and after the war, the gardens were returned to their former glory and the house was renovated. This is when it was painted pink. The ground are absolutely breathtaking with gardens ranging from French to Spanish to Stone, Japanese, Exotic, Rose and more!
Thomas and I were heading into Cap-Ferrat for dinner later in the evening, so since our hotel was a bit out of the way, we got dressed up before we came to the villa. This Zimmermann dress is made from a lightweight linen fabric and has the most beautiful floral and bird print on it- probably one of my favorite dress prints I own. It also comes in a shorter version here that’s also available in a blue shade here. The last time I wore this dress was when we were dining at Noma in Tulum. I rarely wear heels when traveling, as you can see from most of my posts, but I made an exception for all of my Castaner wedges. They’re seriously the most comfortable shoes around- I can spend a whole day walking around in them.
The view from the villa is magnificent! It looks out over some of the incredible homes in Cap-Ferrat that sit along the water, which is littered with yachts and sailboats. Later we headed down to the town for drinks and dinner at Grand Hotel du Cap-Ferrat.
Shop the look
You May Also Like
- Bastide De Marie & Lacoste, Provence Posted in Julia's Style, Travel, Style, Dresses, Accessories, Bags, Classic, Casual, Seasonal, Summer, Hotels, Europe
- White Shirtdress in St. Paul de Vence Posted in Julia's Style, Travel, Style, Dresses, Accessories, Bags, Hats, Classic, Casual, Seasonal, Summer, Europe
- Moustiers-Sainte-Marie, Gorges Du Verdon & Lavender Fields Posted in Julia's Style, Travel, Style, Pink, Dresses, Accessories, Hats, Classic, Casual, Seasonal, Summer, Europe
- Grimaud & St. Tropez, France Posted in Julia's Style, Travel, Style, Pink, Dresses, Accessories, Bags, Classic, Casual, Seasonal, Summer, Europe
- Venasque & Avignon, Provence Posted in Julia's Style, Travel, Style, Pink, Dresses, Accessories, Bags, Classic, Casual, Seasonal, Summer, Europe
- Pink Check Dress Posted in Julia's Style, Travel, Style, Pink, Dresses, Accessories, Shoes, Bags, Seasonal, Spring, Summer, Activities, San Francisco
- Eyelet Set Posted in Julia's Style, Style, Accessories, Bags, Classic, Casual, Seasonal, Spring, Charleston
- Portofino Posted in Julia's Style, food, Travel, Style, Accessories, Bags, Hats, Classic, Seasonal, Spring, Hotels, Europe, Travel Guide, Restaurants
- Braids, Two Ways Posted in Julia's Style, Style, Dresses, Classic, Seasonal, Summer, Beauty, Hair