Our weekend getaway in Connecticut was wonderful. We rented a house for three nights and brought my sister and mom along to enjoy the New England fall weather with us. We didn’t make any particular plans, but really wanted to explore some of the charming towns in the area, fall foliage, lakes and anything else we could find. My mom had been to this area the summer before on a road trip with my grandma and so she had a list of places she wanted to show us (like all of the Gilmore Girl spots!). This particular day in Connecticut was truly a day of exploring. We simply set off in a direction we hoped would be fruitful, pausing along the way to reorient ourselves on the map and pick a new location to drive to. This is always our preferred method of traveling, especially as photographers. We first start with a rough destination, normally it’s a town or a particular spot to eat, those are important when exploring, and try and find the most scenic route.
One of the prettiest spots we stumbled upon when exploring was Kent Falls State Park. We of course, had to stop and check it out. Since it was a Sunday, there were a lot of people out having picnics near and around the waterfall. If we would have known, we’d have packed our own lunches to bring with us to enjoy here. It’s a beautiful spot to take a break and enjoy some fresh air. A lot of the trees were already losing their leaves, so as the wind blew, the leaves would twirl and twist around the park.
Another spot we stopped by was Lake Waramaug. Our friends who live in Joshua Tree texted us when they saw that we were in Connecticut and told us to go visit the lake, as that’s where they both had grown up. We actually went out here one morning for sunrise, too, but unfortunately it was a really really cloudy morning, so we couldn’t actually see the sunrise. I still do love waking up that early though (even more so if I have a large coffee in hand). There’s something so peaceful about waking up before everyone else, when the noise and distractions are still sleeping. I love it. But back to the lake…we stopped here for a while as my sister, Lauren, was inspired and wanted to paint the scene. The colors along the water were so vibrant and beautiful.
I’ve been wearing this Rebecca Taylor sweater ever since I bought it before our trip to Quebec City last month. It’s such a great staple for a fall wardrobe. This time around, I added a little J.Crew scarf and layered my new J.Crew green coat I picked up from Nordstrom recently. I also love this Kate Spade one, along with this oversized and reversible Vince one, both in beautiful shades of green. The color has really been my go-to this season along with burgundy.
Our last stop for the day was Averill Apple Farm in Washington (the town that Gilmore Girls is based off of!) for some apple cider donuts. These were, without a doubt, the best apple cider donuts I have ever had. They were amazing! We were regretting our choice of half a dozen immediately when we got back in the car when they had somehow all disappeared. Nothing beats a hot apple cider donut on a cold fall day.
Thank you to Shopstyle and Nordstrom for sponsoring this post.
Shop the look
You May Also Like
- Finding The Perfect Sweater For Fall Posted in Julia's Style, Travel, Style, Accessories, Bags, Classic, Casual, Seasonal, Fall
- Ruffled Plaid Mini Skirt Posted in Julia's Style, Travel, Style, Accessories, Shoes, Classic, Casual, Seasonal, Fall
- Visiting Eastern Townships Apple Orchard & Winery Posted in Julia's Style, Travel, Style, Classic, Casual, Seasonal, Fall
- Luxe Fabrics For Fall Posted in Julia's Style, Style, Pink, Accessories, Shoes, Bags, Classic, Casual, Seasonal, Fall
- Styling A Slip Skirt Posted in Julia's Style, Style, Accessories, Shoes, Classic, Dressy, Seasonal, Fall
- A Cozy Sweater + Leather Pants Posted in Julia's Style, Travel, Style, Accessories, Shoes, Bags, Classic, Casual, Seasonal, Fall
- You Will Fall In Love With This Cape I Wore In Scotland Posted in Julia's Style, Travel, Style, Accessories, Shoes, Classic, Casual, Seasonal, Fall
- Sunrise & Sunset on Lake Massawippi Posted in Julia's Style, Style, Accessories, Shoes, Casual, Seasonal, Fall
- Sweater Weather Posted in Julia's Style, Style, Accessories, Shoes, Bags, Classic, Casual, Seasonal, Fall