It’s beginning to feel a lot like Christmas. The temperature hasn’t quite dropped, though the city is fully dressed and twinkling for the season. Charleston has so much to offer during the holidays. We’re less than a week into December, and I feel as though we’ve already had a taste of Charleston’s holiday charm. This past weekend, we attended the Garden & Gun Jubilee, an annual December event, and a Christmas party in our neighborhood. Doors are decorated with Poinsettia laced wreaths, garland and bows are draped on picket fences, and streetlights are wrapped with string lights. Last weekend, Thomas and I took a stroll around South of Broad right before sunset to checkout all of the decorations. It’s a magical time to be in Charleston, and with all of the festive excitement, I thought I would share a list of the activities and events that make a Charleston Christmas so special.
Holiday Market at Marion Square- Saturdays and Sundays throughout December
Charleston’s official 60 ft. holiday tree is located at Marion Square between Meeting, King, and Calhoun streets. During the weekend, visitors can enjoy the holiday market where local farmers and artisans offer an assortment of holiday baked goods, craft items, and gifts. During the evening, the Christmas tree in the center of Marion square and surrounding decorated palm trees are beautifully decorated with lights.
James Island Holiday Festival of Lights- Every evening until Jan 1
Boasts a phenomenal tour of 2 million lights followed by a marshmallow roast and old-fashioned carousel
Christmas at Boone Hall Plantation
Christmas display at Belmond Charleston Place
Marion Square Christmas Decor
College of Charleston Christmas decor in the Cistern Yard
Annie by the Footlight Players – family friendly
Charleston Christmas Special at Charleston Music Hall
Today through December 20th
A Christmas Carol at the Charleston Stage – A favorite holiday tradition is to enjoy a holiday show at America’s first theatre
One Time Events:
The Terrace Theater has a special screening of White Christmas on Tuesday and Wednesday. This old fashioned, independent theater is one of the last of its kind.
Wednesday, December 6 5-8pm, 0 George
Zero George Holiday Trunk Show
Holiday trunk show featuring goods from the Goldbug Collection, Celadon, Indigo + Cotton, Hart Studio, Proud Mary, Mac + Murphy, and more.
Friday, December 8
Cannonborough/ Elliotborough Holiday Sip n’ Shop
Candy Shop Vintage, Mac & Murphy, to name a few. A night of holiday shopping.
Saturday Dec. 9
36th annual Holiday Parade of Boats
Decorated in festive decor and twinkling lights, boats parade through the Charleston Harbor during this fun event. View the parade at the Battery, the Mount Pleasant Pier, or attend the official viewing party at the Charleston Maritime Center 5-8pm.
December 9, December 16
Candlelight Tours at Nathaniel Russell House Museum
The house-turned-museum is decorated in holiday greenery
Sunday Dec. 10
22nd Annual Christmas Lights Parade in Mt. Pleasant
The parade begins at 5:30pm with a fireworks show. The parade runs through Mill Street and ends at the intersection of Coleman and Patriots Point Road.
You May Also Like
- A Very Merry Holiday Prep Posted in Julia's Style, Travel, Holiday, Style, Accessories, Shoes, Casual, Dressy, Seasonal, Winter, Activities, California, Home, Decor, Entertaining, Jewelry
- Fall Colors In Charleston Posted in Julia's Style, Style, Accessories, Bags, Classic, Seasonal, Fall, Charleston
- A Day Trip to Beaufort, SC Posted in Julia's Style, Travel, Style, Pink, Dresses, Casual, Seasonal, Spring, Charleston
- 3 Key Pieces To Pack For Labor Day Weekend Posted in Travel, Style, Dresses, Accessories, Bags, Casual, Seasonal, Summer, Packing
- Holiday Gift Guide: Glam Girl Posted in Holiday Gift Guide
- 1 Year In Charleston Posted in Discussions
- The Colors Of Charleston Posted in Julia's Style, Travel, Style, Pink, Dresses, Classic, Seasonal, Summer, Charleston
- Bows Posted in Julia's Style, Style, Accessories, Bows, Classic, Seasonal, Winter, Charleston
- Blush Pink Dress & Red Coat Posted in Julia's Style, Style, Pink, Dresses, Classic, Seasonal, Winter, Charleston